Friday, March 11, 2011

...iT's tiMe tO dRoP tHe aNcHoR...

I'm not a person with alot of collections in my house. I don't collect figurines or snow globes or anything like that...it's never been "my thing". The only thing I really collect is quotes. Whether they are poems...or movie lines...or quotes from famous people...whenever I come across a quote that is inspirational to me...I write it down and add it to my "list". I've even been known to pull out my cell phone in a movie to type in a quote or a line that I like...one that is worthy of my collection. Yeah, it's weird, but it's what I do.

In the movie "The Guardian", there was a line that really had an impact on me the first time I heard it. Kevin Costner's character, Ben Randall, is teaching the young men that are in the Coast Guard about how to be good "rescue swimmers" and this is one of the things he tells them: "There will come a time when you might have to decide who lives and dies out there. It's a terrible responsibility but it's one you will have to make as a rescue swimmer. The bigger reality is, its also something you are going to have to live with as a human being. There will come a time when you will have to say no. The most important person to keep alive is yourself."

I've been thinking about letting go...letting go of the things in my life that are drowning me...the things that will kill me in a sense if I continue to hold on to them. "The most important person to keep alive is yourself." I heard that line in my mind as I thought about some of the people and things that are like an anchor around me. Sometimes it's easy to let go...and sometimes it takes the feeling of struggling to tread water before I realize that I have a decision to make.I don't let go or give up easily...especially when it comes to the people that I care about...but there's only so long that a person...even a strong person...can tread water before they drown. I can't control other people. I've learned that the hard way. The only thing I can control is myself. I have to make my own decisions. I have to know when to walk away from people and things that keep me from reaching my goals and weaken me. I have to know when it's time to save MYSELF...because the fact is that these so called anchors in my life that are dragging me down are not chained to me...I am holding onto them...I have to let go...I have to drop the anchor or I will drown. It's hard to break bad habits. It's hard to give things up that give you temporary comfort. It's hard to walk away before you're ready and it hurts to mourn someone that is still alive. But sometimes, we have to choose ourselves over others in order to be strong ourselves and truly live.

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is wonderful! I too am a quote collector. I too have learned that sometimes you have to let go in order to live. I hope you don't mind if I share this on my FB page. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all so much! I'm so glad that you enjoyed this!

    Melinda, you are always welcome to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one, Marsha!

    I call it "Dropping people off at the bus stop of life..." LOL

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Just what I needed to hear, as I've been struggling with dropping my own anchor lately. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seem to be having a lot of stops on my bus route lately Adam, but I look at it this way. Not only am I dropping anchors/people off...I'm picking people up (like all our new SINS friends) that are making me better too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. Very well put!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow.. this is exactly what i should.. nice! thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete