Friday, December 30, 2011

...pLaNNiNg fOr mY "rOaDtRiP" iN 2012...

Making real improvements in your life can be the simplest, most complex, easiest, hardest thing in the world.  It all depends on how you approach it.  I am a stubborn person by nature, and I have always been resistant to change.  I think this is in part because I don't like being told what to do and in part because I am a perfectionist and I can hardly bear the thought of looking stupid or the out of control feeling of not knowing what I'm doing.

This personality trait paired with a fear of failure can make change complicated and hard.  There have been many times in my life where I put myself down or essentially gave up on my self because I quit when things were not going as I expected or wanted them to.  This is a fast track to disappointment and frustration and I don't now about you...but most of us have plenty of that in our lives without bringing it on ourselves!


I've made a lot of mistakes in my life.  I've even repeated a few, but no matter what...win or lose...succeed or fail...I've learned something.  Negativity and doubt will build a wall that stands between us and the changes we want to make.  Calling yourself fat won't make you thinner.  Telling yourself that you can't won't get you closer to your goals.  Making excuses and trying to find shortcuts doesn't make growth any easier.  This doesn't mean we should allow ourselves to fail without trying or lull ourselves into thinking that this is the way things are and change is impossible.  What it does mean is that if you want to get somewhere, you need a plan...a map of sorts.

You need to treat change like you would a road trip.  You don't jump in a car and drive off without making sure you have gas or anything else you may need along the way, and you certainly don't start driving somewhere you've never been before without some sort of directions.  There are maps, navigation, friends and acquaintances that may have traveled the same road that can all offer you a clear cut path towards your final destination.


I decided to really change my diet this next year.  My life has felt very out of control in some ways over the past year and I feel ready for a change...a true, lasting change.  I think the discipline and lessons I learn, along with the possibility of physically feeling better will help me not just physically or with my diet alone, but in many aspects of my life.  I'm setting out on a road that I've never traveled.  In the past I tried to be all liberated and do it myself without help, but in the end I found myself anything but liberated from the place or behaviors I was trying to escape.  This time, I want to be smart.  I want to set myself up to succeed rather than doom myself to failure.  I am going to make a menu and get the "fuel" I need ahead of time.  I am not going to focus on what I'm giving up, but what I can gain and the example that I can be to others.

So here I go.  January 2, 2012 is the first day of what I hope ends up being a long, enjoyable, successful trip to better health!  I invite anyone that wants to join me "virtually" to come to the group page I've made on Facebook, STRONG LOLA 30 DAY CHALLENGE, and follow along.  You don't have to know it all or be an expert.  You just have to be willing to do something different and not too proud to ask for "directions".  I will put some links to helpful information here below the post!  New year!  New YOU!






STRONG LOLA 30 DAY CHALLENGE


For information on the Paleo diet, how to get started, what to eat and NOT eat, etc click the links below:

WHOLE 9

BALANCED BITES

21 DAY SUGAR DETOX

3 comments:

  1. I swear, I think you're in my head. Every blog you post hits the nail on the head - EVERY time. Thank you for your honesty and bravery in posting what we're, or at least I'm, feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog! I am too very excited to see what 2012 brings as far as me meeting goals, seeing improvements in my body, and of course how much fun I am going to have doing it all! Keep up the great work!

    http://digitalmustardkaren.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stumbled across your site while researching Mark Twight -- and I LOVE the tshirts! Just bought one. I've been on my own, ultra positive mental/physical journey the last few years and am enjoying the many people I'm meeting along the way with their own examples of change, growth, and love. Best of 2012 to you. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete