Wednesday, September 7, 2011

...tOuGh hAnDs...sOfT hEaRt...sTroNg wOmAn...

"A truly strong person does not need the approval of others any more than a lion needs the approval of sheep." ~Vernon Howard

Today I worked out with the 6AM group. The workout was:
10 Rounds for time
200M Sprint
7 Pull-ups
10 Box Jumps (22 in)

I ended up doing 11 rounds to finish with the last person...so all in all, I did 77 pull-ups. It was tough but a lot of fun. My hands have really toughened up over the years. When I first started doing pull-ups, I used to rip open and bleed or get big blood blisters EVERY time I did 40 or more. Now, my threshold is more like 100. I have toughened my hands up over the past 3 years and I rarely bleed. That is good on days like today. I was so excited that I didn't rip or get any blood blisters that I posted this pic up on Facebook when I got home with the caption, "Look Mom! Lotsa pull-ups...lotsa chalk...NO RIPS OR BLISTERS! Yay!" It was nice to have friends "like" it or comment and say nice things. Validation from peers always feels good.

So as I was driving home from taking kids to school and my hands...although not bleeding...were hurting as I gripped the steering wheel, I started to think how strange it is...how different I am than I use to be. If you'd told me 10 years ago that I would first, do 77 pull-ups...and second, post a picture of my chalky hand on the internet...I would have laughed.

I worked hard...and it HURT...and I was out of breath and tired at the end...and I was happy. I drove home feeling a sense of accomplishment and feeling good about myself. It was nice to receive compliments and know that my friends thought I did a good job, but that was just the icing on the cake. The real joy I felt, came from within...because I felt strong. I didn't need anyone else to approve of me or tell me I was good enough in that moment, and neither should you.
Whether you do 77 pull-ups or get your first one or do them all assisted...no matter where you are at...KNOW that you are strong. Don't be afraid of the pain or the fact that you might get hurt. Pain goes away and ripped hands heal. Push yourself to the limit so that when you walk out the door of the gym, you can feel that same inner happiness and confidence that I felt this morning. Don't make excuses. Don't say "I can't!". Do what you can do to the best of your ability and don't wait for someone else to tell you that you are strong. Believe that you are and behave accordingly.

2 comments:

  1. Long ago, the most painful part of working out, and I only admit this since no one knows who I am here (I'm a guy, ok?), was my hands. Actually my fingers. I don't have tender hands, in fact they are covered with scars from having fun.

    But they would split from the weights I was working with. It was a bit painful and I don't feel pain like most people. I have played with injuries most of my life-no drugs.
    So I finally started using gloves. Not the fingerless gloves that were popular, full fingered gloves. After a while, some of the "tough guys" started wearing full gloves too.

    So, to y'all reading this, do you wear gloves? IF not, why not?

    That's a rhetorical question. Perhaps somewhat sarcastic, idk. I also found that by wearing gloves, I didn't have thick rough calluses that scraped my love's ... tender parts. That was good too. :D Women appreciate a man's consideration, a lot. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own every color gloves under the sun and I have no problem with people wearing them. They do serve a purpose. For ME personally, I can't wear them and get a good enough grasp on our pull-up bars made outta pipe to kip and stay on the bar. I know it's weird and my hands are so rough...(I take a foot file to them almost daily)...but I LOVE the feel of the bar in my hands next to my skin. :)

    ReplyDelete