Tuesday, January 18, 2011

...if yOu KeeP dOiN wHaT yOu'Ve aLwaYs dOnE..yOu'LL KeeP gEttiN wHaT yOu aLwaYs gOt...

I grew up in the south. I was born and raised in Texas. Now I know that TRUE southerners...people from Georgia lets just say for example's sake...will tell you that anything west of the Mississippi is NOT the south...it is the west or southwest. That's okay with me, because in all reality, Texas is like it's own little country...different than anyplace else. One thing about native Texans is that we love to make comparisons when we speak so there are lots of sayings that I heard my whole life...some are funny and some are just gross...but they all bring a smile to my face. Growing up, my Mom would ALWAYS say, "I'm as full as a tick." after she would eat too much. If we got cut, it was not uncommon to hear, "She's bleedin like a stuck pig!". There's so many more I could recite, but you get the picture.

One thing my mama has ALWAYS said to us is, "If you keep doing what you've always done...you'll keep gettin what you always got!" She always used this in reference to making the same bad choices over and over, but over the past week or so....this has been taking on a different meaning for me. I've thought to myself. "Maybe this is not always a bad thing..."

I was feeling frustrated with myself...lost...not as happy with my body as I have been in the past. At first, I felt sorry for myself and threw a pity party for one...but anyone who knows me, knows I don't like to be alone so that didn't last long. Next I tried to make excuses...like the always favorite, "Maybe I have a thyroid problem."...but finally...in the end, I decided to take responsibility.I decided that rather than try and figure out what it is that I've been doing wrong...I would think about what it is that I did right when I was happier with my body and then GO BACK to doing that. It seemed more positive to me. Instead of obsessing about taking things away or beating myself up, I would focus on the good...knowing that if I did it before, I could do it again. This morning, the 9am class at the gym asked if I was going to be doing the workout of the day with them today. I sd "No. I'm doing a workout out of my old book of workouts. I'm going back to doing things the way I use to do them so I can look like I use to look." and it made me think of my mama's saying...only this time...with a different twist.

Of course we have to change things up to keep progressing, but maybe what we need sometimes is to go back to the tried and true...to stop trying to complicate things and just get back to the basics. That's what I've done..and it's killin me...and I'm happier. For now...I'm going back to doin what I've always done, so I can get what I use to have! (Thanks Mom!)

Today's workout:
100 OH LUNGEs
100 MEDICINE BALL SLAMs
100 PUSHUPs
100 RING ROWs
100 OH LUNGEs

(followed by 30 min on the elliptical doing hills)

~Marsha

4 comments:

  1. I recently had a similar epiphany! Sometimes you have to go back to a time when you knew you felt good and just press repeat! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I think that is a great plan, and your mom is right! I just wanted to let you know how much of an inspiration you are! I am at the beginning of my weight loss journey, doing crossfit and eating Paleo. Reading your story and your blog has motivated me so much! Thank you for sharing your story with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Hannah! Good luck on your journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice page :) Sounds like a hard woorkout!

    ReplyDelete