Friday, November 11, 2011

...veTeRaNs dAy...

It seems the thing to do on blogs or Facebook...to say "Thank you" to people in the military on Veteran's Day. Don't get me wrong. I am not belittling or making fun or saying that people are not sincere. I believe it is...and so for ME it is always hard to know what to say.

I don't think most of us truly take the time on a daily basis to think about the service that is being rendered to us...during the day and while we sleep. We forget that there are men and women sacrificing time with family, uprooting their families and leaving friends to move across the country and around the world, and risking their lives for people they do not even know. "Thank you" is what you say to someone that holds the door open for you at the store. Those words seem insufficient for such a selfless service, but I mean it sincerely when I say "Thank you!" to all my friends that do currently or have served our country in the military. I sleep sound at night because of you. Your strength amazes me.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Marsha.

    My daughter and her son returned from Afghanistan this year. It was especially hard on her due to her combat missions and so many of her 'battles' (battlemates) who came back dead or disabled. She struggles to relax from full combat alert/responsiveness to civilian life. Her TBI is hard and she has lost some cognitive ability but she is here, she has resumed her regular job, but she feels out of place. Her son is doing a lot better than her. He was a chopper gunner and tech and his crew survived.

    Miss Marsha, I don't know what to say either.

    What do you say to people that write a blank check to our country, knowing that it might be cashed out, ending their life? We don't have words for that.

    We can pray for them, offer them respect when the opportunity comes, and push for better support from our gov't for them.

    Thank you for this post.

    Today I honor them as I can, just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome! I know it must be so hard even though I personally cannot even imagine how hard it is to get back in to "real life" after being in a combat situation. Like you said, there are no words...but I feel certain our prayers and the unconditional love and support from family and friends means a lot! <3

    ReplyDelete