Monday, March 26, 2012

...rEcHaRgE yOuR BaTTeRy...

Most of us use our cell phones a lot.  I remember a time, many years ago, when all I did with my phone was make calls.  It's not that way anymore.  I use my phone for everything.  It's my calculator, address book, organizer, camera, and alarm clock.  I text instead of calling whenever I can.  I check my email, post to and check Facebook updates, and play games.  There's not a day that I go an hour without doing something on my phone during the day.  Most of the time plugging my cell phone in at night to recharge is sufficient.  But ever so often, my phone get used so much during the day that the battery becomes too low and I have to recharge it sooner.  Sometimes when my phone gets very low, I take it and plug it in and let it get good and recharged.  Other times, I try just plugging it in here and there in the car or for just a few minutes at a time.  This helps, but I find that it doesn’t take long and my phone is dead.

Do you ever have days where you feel like your cell phone?  There are days that require a lot out of me...days that I'm especially busy...days that come with added stress...days that I feel as though everyone else needs my help.  These days cause my inner “battery” to get run down faster.  If I ignore the signs that my inner “battery” is low or if I try to quickly “recharge” it, before long...I have nothing left to give to myself or others.  Sometimes, you have to take the time to stop and fully recharge your “battery”...not just for a few minutes, but for as long as it takes to be back up to full speed.  We make excuses that we are too busy or that we don’t have time, but once the battery is dead on your phone...it’s worthless to you and we are no different.
 Pay more attention to where your battery is at.  I have deleted “apps” on my phone that drain my battery.  Maybe we need to practice this in our personal lives as well.  If there are people that take from you and drain you, but give nothing in return...maybe you need to reconsider how beneficial they are to you and whether or not you want to keep them around.  If you are feeling the sign that your “battery” is low...if you are irritable or tired or sad...recognize it and make a real effort to recharge.  When we allow all of our energy to be taken away and given to different tasks and people, we suddenly become just like a cell phone without a charge.  We are of no use to those around us, and we have nothing to give.   Don’t allow that to happen.  Keep yourself recharged so that you have the power to live the life you want.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you! I really, really needed to hear this today. I am going to take the time to recharge MY batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooo true!! Thank you for reminding me. This was just what I needed to hear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another excellent post. Years ago, I was a young working mother - who commuted into NYC every day. My days were long - and I had a very deft way to handle my schedule, my housework, my life, my work and my obligations as wife and mother. Saturday mornings, I was up early -- went to breakfast alone and then off to get a manicure. It was my recharge and I never -- ever -- felt guilty for it. And, I called it recharging my battery~! Despite the other mothers (non working, I might add) asking me why and how I didn't feel guilty about my self-indulgence, I never felt guilty....EVER.

    Now older - and 'supposedly' wiser, I don't do as much for myself. My son is grown and off at school/living out of state - yet, I am less inclined to pamper myself, take care of my own needs.

    Thanks for the reminder Marsha. Thanks for driving home the point. You made me realize I had nothing left to give at home and at work - given that I had nothing left for myself......I never bothered to stop and recharge my battery. You made me realize I must have been so wrapped up in motherhood, that it drove me to take care of myself - but now that I don't need to be so very present to my son, I stopped taking care of myself -- for me, for my beloved husband - as well as everyone else on the short list of my life. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this.

    Over the past few months I've realized just how important it is to have "me" time. I'm pretty darn important and deserve my energy and attention, too. I've also realized that there are some people who are draining and I limit my time with them. It's made a world of difference in my life.

    ReplyDelete